Philippi: 100 years of Excavations @ Ancient Macedonian City

 

An exhibition commemorating the centenary of archaeological excavation in Philippi is being hosted in Thessaloniki, at the Museum of Byzantine Culture. Philippi was a city in eastern Macedonia, established by Philip II (father of Alexander the Great) in 356 BC and abandoned in the 14th century after the Ottoman conquest.
The site was originally colonized by the people of Thassos in 360 BC, who wanted to take control of the area’s plentiful resources (minerals, timber etc.). Soon after its establishment, the city was threatened and turned to King Philip II of Macedon for help. Realizing its economic and strategic potential, Philip conquered, fortified, and renamed the city after himself.
 

During Roman times, the city became a commercial and artistic centre because the Via Egnatia passed through the city. Another landmark in the history of the city came some years later, when Paul the Apostle founded the first Christian Church on European soil in 49-50 AD. The city flourished anew following his ministry there.
 
Excavations at Philippi began in 1914 under the French School at Athens, the oldest out of 17 foreign archaeological institutes in Athens (1846). The Museum of Byzantine Culture, together with the Ministry of Culture and the French School at Athens celebrate the anniversary with an exhibition which runs through January 15, 2014.
News
Comments are closed.